It is now winter and people are starting to try to warm up using foods. While some may go to comfort foods that include fried foods or baked goods we are opting for the healthy option of soup. Soup is a fantastic way of warming up on a cold day while still getting a healthy serve of vegetables. Below is a great example of a healthy soup with a good combination of vegetables, fibre and protein.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 450g pumpkin, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed, drained
- 3 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 4 slices grainy sourdough bread
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup low-fat natural yoghurt, to serve
Step 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic, carrot, pumpkin, lentils, stock, 2 cups water and tomatoes.
Step 2Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until pumpkin is very tender.
Step 3Remove from heat and puree using a stick blender.
Step 4Meanwhile, toast bread and top with sliced avocado. Sprinkle soup with parsley, dollop with yoghurt and serve with avocado toast.
Source: Healthy Food Guide