[message_box background=”#0099CC”]Active One OT Driver Assessment and Rehab Services[/message_box]
Occupational Therapy (OT) driver assessors have an additional qualification in driver assessment and rehabilitation and are registered with VicRoads. This allows them to help their clients to either obtain a drivers licence, or to ensure that current drivers maintain their ability to drive safely. An OT driver assessment may be required due to the potential impact of a medical condition or disability on driving skills or concern about driver behaviour. OT driver assessors provide a means to assess the ability of a physically or cognitively impaired person to drive safely.
[toggle title=”The OT Driver Assessment Process” group=”OT” start=”open”]
The OT driver assessment process is in two parts:
- Off-Road Assessment (up to 2 hours, clinic based): This helps to determine preparedness for driving. It includes medical and driving history, physical, cognitive and visual assessments and a test of road law knowledge.
- On-road driving test (up to 1.5 hours, with up to 1 hour of actual driving): This is performed to evaluate actual driving skills. It is completed on a separate day, in a dual controlled car with both a driving instructor and your OT driver assessor.
A dual-control car is used to ensure safety for the driver and other road users.
After the OT driver assessment process is complete, the OT driver assessor makes a recommendation to VicRoads.
VicRoads make the decision regarding licensing.
With client consent, we will send the referrer a copy of our OT driver assessment report.
[toggle title=”Possible Outcomes” group=”OT”]
- Resume driving unconditionally
- Resume driving with some vehicle modifications
- Resume driving with some licence restrictions
- Required to take driving lessons to improve driving skills, or to familiarise with adaptive equipment
- Recommended to wait until further recovery or improvement occurs
- Additional on-road test required
- Found to be unsafe to continue (or to resume) driving
[toggle title=”Who can refer” group=”OT”]
An OT driver assessment can be initiated by:
- GPs and Specialists
- OTs or other health professionals
- Clients, their families or carers
[toggle title=”How to refer” group=”OT”]
- Please fax/email your referral directly to our office
- A VicRoads medical report is required
- A VicRoads Eyesight or Specialist report may also be required
- Please include relevant past medical history, current medications
- We will liaise with VicRoads directly for authority to proceed
[toggle title=”Funding” group=”OT”]
- Approval is organised for compensable (TAC & Work Cover) clients
- Private health insurance extras may cover OT consultations
- VicRoads and Medicare do not fund OT driver assessments
[toggle title=”We are registered with the following agencies” group=”OT”]
- Work Cover
- Medicare Australia
- Private Health funds
[toggle title=”Contact Us” group=”OT”]
Clinic: 25 Yuille Street Frankston South 3199
Postal: PO Box 5134 Frankston South 3199
Office: (03) 8707 0830
Fax: (03) 8707 0778
For more details:
[message_box background=”#fffff”]Click here for the VicRoads Medical Report Form[/message_box]
[message_box background=”#fffff”]Click here to read VicRoads Publication[/message_box]
[message_box background=”#fffff”]Click here to visit OT Driver Assessment and Rehabilitation Process Page[/message_box]