- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 medium brown onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 400 g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 tbs salt-reduced tomato sauce
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 420 g can no-added-salt cannelloni or butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbs parsley, finely chopped
- 4 slices wholegrain bread, toasted
- freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
- Spray oil in a medium saucepan and cook onion and garlic over medium heat until softened.
- Add the tomato paste and smoked paprika. Stir through and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the can of tomatoes, including juice, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add in the cannellini beans and stir until heated through.
- Remove from heat, mix in the parsley, pepper and serve on toast.
- Add 1 thinly sliced fresh long red chilli to the onion for a spicy light lunch.
- Replace cannellini beans with canned no-added-salt haricot, butter, borlotti or red kidney beans.
Recipes and images supplied courtesy of LiveLighter Victoria.